The Mud FREE Earthbag Building PDF
20 pages of information and photos plus a series of earthbag and mud building emails. FREE!
3. Cover your rocks with smaller round-edged gravel (this prevents polypropylene bags from ripping).
4. Lay two or three layers of gravel-filled polypropylene bags with thick barbed-wire between the layers for tensile strength. Double-bag your foundation/stem wall layers to reinforce the sacks.
5. Fill in the gaps on either side of the bags with more gravel/rubble. This prevents water wicking up into your earthbag house.
6. Make sure you tamp the bags after each circle is laid. The gravel becomes nice and compact.
7. Protect your PP bags from sunlight (especially the foundation layers) until you put on mud plaster. UV can break down the bags.
The Mud Home takes many hours a week to run, and costs a lot to sustain. If you find this site useful or inspiring, please consider supporting it so that it can continue.
Many thanks to all those who've already become Mud Sustainers.